cell phone

If you are in immediate danger, call 911 or the GW Police Department.

      Call 911      Call 202-994-6111 (GWPD)

cell phone

If you are not in immediate danger, call GW Sexual Assault Response & Consultation (SARC) for help.

Call 202-994-7222


If you would like to report an incident of sexual or gender-based harassment, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, intimate partner violence or stalking.

Report an Incident

University Assistance

Making changes to your daily schedule or living arrangements after experiencing sexual violence, intimate partner violence or stalking may help you feel safer and reestablish a sense of control. University assistance can come in the form of support measures (help for you) or protective measures (which may also impact the accused party). Assistance is available to you whether or not you choose to file a formal police report or seek a disciplinary resolution.

Contact the Title IX Office to discuss options for addressing your specific needs.

Interim Support Measures

Interim Support Measures are ways that the university can help you navigate your campus-housing, academic, mental health, and other needs. They are designed to provide support and maintain continued access to educational and employment opportunities. They will vary based on your needs and specific circumstances, but examples might include:

  • Communicating with your professors or supervisors about absences or extensions related to your situation

  • Communicating with professors or academic advisors about seeking incompletes  

  • Helping you access urgent medical or Mental Health services.

  • Changing your on-campus housing assignment

  • Safety planning

Interim Support Measures are available to both the complaiant (you) and respondent (accused person).

Interim Protective Measures

In contrast, Interim Protective Measures involve a restrictive action against a respondent. Interim Protective Measures are only available when the university initiates an investigation as part of a disciplinary resolution. These will also involve notification to the accused party that a concern has been reported. The Title IX office will make every effort to maintain your privacy, and these measures will typically only be pursued with your permission.

These actions may include, but are not limited to:

  • No contact order. An order prohibiting any contact between the parties, whether in person, electronic, or through third parties. Violations of a no contact order are investigated and pursued by Student Rights and Responsibilities and/or the Title IX office.

  • Persona non grata. A persona non grata order bans an individual from a particular residence hall or other building on campus.

  • Administrative housing or schedule change. Administrative action to change the housing assignment, class assignment, or other logistical matters for the respondent.

Other Options for Support