cell phone

If you are in immediate danger, call 911 or the GW Police Department.

      Call 911      Call 202-994-6111 (GWPD)

cell phone

If you are not in immediate danger, call GW Sexual Assault Response & Consultation (SARC) for help.

Call 202-994-7222


If you would like to report an incident of sexual or gender-based harassment, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, intimate partner violence or stalking.

Report an Incident

Reporting Options

Reporting sexual or gender-based harassment, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, intimate partner violence or stalking can help ensure safety for yourself and for the community. Even if you do not want to file a formal complaint through with the university or file a police report, we encourage you to talk to the Title IX office to learn about your options so you can make an informed decision about what is the best next step for you.

You are entitled to help from the university regardless of whether or not you choose to make a formal complaint or police report.

Remember that your immediate safety and mental health are the most important. Although we encourage you to talk to someone and consider making a report as soon as you feel ready, there is no required timeframe.

If you’re unsure if you want to report an incident or want more details about the options, call the Sexual Response & Consultative (SARC) team at 202-994-7222 or schedule an appointment with the Title IX Coordinator.  You will not be required to share more information about your specific situation than you’re comfortable with.

Report an Incident to Title IX 

Reporting an incident to the Title IX office means that you are on record with the university so that we can help ensure your safety and the safety of the community. You are entitled to university assistance even if you do not wish to move forward with a formal complaint. You are encouraged to report any incident of sexual or gender-based harassment, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, intimate partner violence or stalking to the Title IX office, even if you were not directly involved, and even if you would prefer to remain anonymous.

Report an Incident

File a Police Report 

A police report is a formal statement made to the GW Police Department (GWPD) or Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) recording the details of an incident and the identities of others involved.

Call GWPD at 202-994-6111 to file a report.

Reporting Process 

A GWPD officer will meet with you and ask you for details about what happened. You can request that a member of the Sexual Response & Consultative (SARC) team or GW's Victim Services Specialist be present during the conversation for support.

A report filed with GWPD will not automatically start an investigation. Your report will first be reviewed by the Victim Services Specialist or the Title IX Coordinator and and then you will be contacted by them to discuss your options.

Additional Actions 

Filing a police report can be an important step if you want to seek a Civil Protection Order through the civil court system. It can also be helpful, though it is not required, if you want to pursue a student conduct complaint.

If you are interested in criminal charges or a criminal investigation, GWPD can also help you file a report with The Metropolitan Police Department. An MPD report would start a formal investigation.

File a Complaint with the Title IX Office 

The university is committed to providing a prompt, thorough, equitable, and impartial resolution of all reported violations of this policy. The university uses two processes to resolve reports of Prohibited Conduct under this policy:

  • Alternative Resolution, an informal framework that includes informal or restorative options for resolving reports that typically does not involve disciplinary action against a Respondent.
  • Disciplinary Resolution, formal procedures that involve an investigation, adjudication and, if appropriate, the imposition of sanctions.

The Title IX Coordinator will determine the appropriate resolution process after making an initial assessment of the reported information, consulting with the Complainant, considering campus safety, and evaluating the university’s obligation to maintain an environment free from harassment and discrimination. Where a Complainant requests a Disciplinary Resolution and the available 28 information raises the elements of Prohibited Conduct, the Title IX Coordinator will initiate an investigation.

Schedule an appointment with the Title IX office to learn more about these processes.

Additional information can also be found in our Sexual and Gender-Based Harassment and Interpersonal Violence Policy (pgs. 33-44).

File an Anonymous or Third Party Report

You are welcome and encouraged to share information about an incident even if you:

  • were not directly involved in the situation

  • would like to remain anonymous

Please share whatever information you are comfortable sharing. Even if you do not know all of the relevant details, you are welcome and encouraged to report.

All information submitted will be reviewed by the Title IX office. The university will attempt to address the situation, beginning by reaching out to the complainant (person affected by sexual assault or relationship abuse) to offer assistance and options.

Keep in mind that if not enough relevant facts are provided or the complainant does not participate in the follow up, the university may be limited in its ability to address the incident.

Report an Incident


Other Options for Support